Value of ex-Unitenians

(Wednesday, November 29, 2006)


What are we as the Uniten grads worth in the market as compared to other public unis??

I don't know actually during the time when I was a fresh grad. After of being in the corporate dog eat dog world for 2 years now, I know the answer already.

1st, we all started without any value. Yes...no value at all. So what you graduated with the highest honors?? So what you have gazillions of Dean's Lists?? So what you were the president for this and that clubs?? For the employers, fresh grads are just valueless. This is very true and it applies to all fresh grads from all unis.

So, what makes the Unitenians so special then?? Our ability to talk cock in fluent English of course!!

Recently, I have the opportunity to help someone in my company to select the right candidates to come for an interview. Being my first time selecting candidates, of course I read through their resume one by one, word by word. Then I was told to give preference to those graduated from Uniten and MMU first. Then to all the colleges like Taylors, Inti, Sunway....and lastly to public uni grads.

I asked why, and I was given the duh! look, and a very short and simple answer "they speak better English!!"

How about the achievements during uni time?? I was given another duh! look again, and even a shorter answer "not important".

So, being a kaypoh-chi like me, I asked another stupid question "Why such practice?? Everybody should deserves equal opportunities mah".

Then I kena bombarded with this, "We hire the person to take on the position fast. Learn fast, work fast with minimal training and supervision. If English teruk, how to communicate, how to teach the fella anything, how the fella gonna talk to other ppl?? Then we must waste time to teach him or her english pulak. Like that better don't hire lah."

Then I asked again "So I was hired not because of my skills and abilities, but because of my english lah".

One of them told me, "Yeah. You last time fresh grad where got any skills and abilities needed for this job lah. We all know where do all the fresh grads stand lah. Just that we need them to be able to speak and write good fluent english, and learn all the skills needed for the job later on, day by day, gain it by experience. So we select people that can speak good english first, we will assess further during the interview. We know that Uniten and MMU students, and most private colleges, use english as their everyday language, be it in teaching or learning."



So, my conclusion is this:
(1) Fresh grads memang no value to any employers.
(2) So, don't waste time to use 100gm paper nor to decorate your resume.
(3) Employers are gonna see the 'Educational Background' part only.
(4) Make sure you can bullshit fluently in english.
(5) Among all the value-less fresh grads, grads from Uniten are still valuable lah!!
(6) So, don't worry for all the ex-Unitenians that are looking for a job. You are wanted for your english!!






Note: Please do not misunderstand that me here trying to make Uniten sounds so great and that all other public unis are inferior, nor do I support my company of using such a screening method for hiring. The truth is, english is damn important, until the extend it is more important than a person's own abilities and skills. Of course this is applicable only to the fresh grads. After working for some time, you will be assess differently, which is usually based on your past working experience and achievements then.









Posted in Categories: Posted by vantuz at 3:49 PM  

5 comments:

  1. Cherng Says:

    True. My company hired many Uniten students. English medium was used in Uniten lectures, which was the main reason my dad told me to go to Uniten. This is where private uni beats public uni. During our convo, it was announced that majority of the grads have found jobs.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    how about Brummies and Gaelic? is it an advantage? hehe

  3. vantuz Says:

    astrosurge: wat u kaypoh kaypoh here pulak??

    i think those that can speak and write good english will have all the advantages.

  4. Anonymous Says:

    i can kaypoh anywhere i wan lah Cik T. um tak meh? chui ah? chui belon? mau?

    *blek*

  5. DUCATI Says:

    Tiu,speak english only, its not important how the way u speak,its the way the other end understand what u going to present to them is more important..if u looking for those who is able to speak english,u can go to subang jaya where those ah -sam and old uncle selling chicken in pasar aso can speak good english sumore the will let u chose American accent or British accent.....hahhaahha....TIU U10

 
Copyright 2005-2007. Hello Wiki designed by Fen, Blogger Templates by Blogcrowds.